Nonprofit | Nondenominational
140 Elm St, 2nd Floor
New Canaan, CT 06840
Posted: Sep 28, 2021
Application Deadline: Mar 23, 2022
FOCUS, the Fellowship of Christians in Universities and Schools, is a non-denominational Christian youth ministry working in various established east-coast areas and in San Francisco, CA. The purpose of FOCUS is to give independent school students in grades 6-12 the opportunity to investigate traditional Christian faith and values in a forum that is fun, relevant, intellectually stimulating and non-coercive. FOCUS pursues this goal through area-based activities as well as summer programs at its Study Center on Martha’s Vineyard and school-season camps at various locations.
The NYC Area Director will be responsible for all aspects of area ministry, including program delivery and managing the relationships between staff, students, parents, volunteers, school faculty, donors, and the local community we serve.
Specifically, the NYC Area Director will:
- Develop and implement a vision for the Area, in keeping with the FOCUS ministry-wide vision, in order to reach independent school students for Christ.
- Work with the FOCUS Executive Director and the Area Sponsoring Committee (ASC), to develop short and long-term goals and strategies to meet the needs of the Area.
- Minister directly to students and teach biblical truth when:
- Leading Bible studies for leaders and students.
- Organizing and speaking at local and national school-season and summer programs. Each year this equals approximately six weeks at summer programs on Martha’s Vineyard, MA, and two weeks during the school season.
- Organizing and leading discipleship groups and Bible studies for students both on and off campus.
- Facilitating leadership training for volunteers and students.
- Planning and executing weekly and/or monthly outreach events for seekers.
- Conducting contact work by attending plays, games and concerts, and by spending time with students over breakfast, lunch or coffee. The latter are critical aspects of the position as they offer opportunities to teach the Gospel in real life terms that speak to the group we are looking to reach.
- Serve as a direct source of communication with parents, families, school administrators, faculty, and area churches in order to build and strengthen relationships.
- Maintain direct and routine communication with the FOCUS Executive Director and other National Office functions such as Development, Operations and Human Resources.
- Oversee, encourage, and develop Area staff and volunteers as part of an Area-wide team, including establishing and supervising each staff member’s work responsibilities.
- Establish and implement an annual budget in coordination with the ASC, Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer, and managing the Area's ministry expenses.
- Fundraise, in conjunction with the ASC, for the area operating budget by developing and maintaining relationships with donors, and planning and coordinating special fundraising events.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for the Christian Gospel, and will be required to sign and abide by the FOCUS Statement of Faith.
- A strong interest in youth ministry. Some familiarity with independent schools and culture is strongly preferred.
- Faithful participation in a local church and a commitment to ongoing personal spiritual development.
- Ability and willingness to commit himself/herself to FOCUS for a minimum of three years. FOCUS assumes that all staff will stay with FOCUS until a clear call from God determines other plans.
How to Apply
Please visit our employment page infocus.org/employment and apply online. You may also upload your resume and cover letter within the application portal. Any questions, please reach out to Rebecca Farquhar, Human Resources Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on our ministry, visit us at www.infocus.org.
Primary Contact: Rebecca Farquhar
Apply Online: View