Religious | Presbyterian Church in America
440 Ridge Avenue
Winnetka, IL 60093
Posted: Nov 18, 2021
Application Deadline: Mar 31, 2022
Grace Presbyterian Church is a growing, multi-generational PCA (Presbyterian Church in America) church of 300, situated 15 miles north of Chicago, where the local vibe is educated, urbane, family-oriented, and community-minded. You might recognize the area from films either made or set here—Home Alone, Caddy Shack, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Mean Girls.
The church is actively connected both to Northwestern University, supporting both an RUF (Reformed University Fellowship) and an RUF-I (Reformed University Fellowship-International) chapter. Grace is also connected to TEDS (Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) with an active and growing intern program. Grace has several strategic mission partners in the city of Chicago.
Grace is hiring an Assistant Pastor (or Director) of Youth and Families. A candidate who thrives in this role will be entrepreneurial, relational, and able to build a systems-based and sustainable ministry that incorporates everyone from staff to congregants. This person must have a heart for God and the gospel, for youth, for skeptics, and for “the rich young rulers of this world” (cf. Mark 10).
If interested, please email a short cover letter and resume to Rev. Nick Swan, Nick@gracenorthshore.org.
TITLE: Director/Pastor for Youth and Families
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
POSITION FOCUS: Students in grades 5–12, their parents, as well as their peers.
POSITION PURPOSE: Our mission at Grace is to welcome our neighbors to grow together in Christ and serve God in our community and world. To this end, the purpose of the director/pastor of youth position is to: 1) reach young people with the good news of Christ, 2) connect them with others in our church community to help them grow in their faith, 3) encourage them to live out Christ’s mission by helping them discover how they can serve and honor God with their lives.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Our preference is for the candidate to have an MDiv and be ordained or ordainable within the PCA. However, we are open to candidates with an undergraduate degree in ministry who have 3+ years of youth ministry experience.
LENGTH OF SERVICE COMMITMENT: 3-5 years
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES - ABIDE
- The Director/Pastor of Youth Ministries will cultivate his/her own spiritual, intellectual, emotional, and physical health.
- The Director/Pastor will nurture relationships with her spouse and family.
- The Director/Pastor will nurture relationships/friendships/community with others.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Director/Pastor will recruit, engage, equip, communicate with, and train youth staff, interns, volunteers, and parents who serve the youth of Grace Presbyterian.
- The Director/Pastor will build personal relationships with youth and their families, and the Director will be available to serve as a counselor when needed.
- The Director/Pastor will nurture an open, loving, and joyful community among youth, and their teachers.
- According to the curriculum plan decided upon and in conjunction with the Children’s Director, the Director/Pastor will plan, order, and manage long-term curriculum plans for youth.
- The Director/Pastor will oversee, lead, train, equip, encourage, and review the middle school coordinator and interns.
- The Director/Pastor will keep the vision on track while managing and reviewing staff in line with agreed upon annual goals.
- The Director/Pastor will have oversight of the development, supervision, and direction of the Grace’s communicant program, BELIEVE.
- The Director/Pastor will develop youth leaders within the program and as participants in the total life of our community of faith, including worship, service, and fellowship.
- The Director/Pastor will lead and equip young people to take part in our annual youth mission trips (Junior and Senior High).
- The Director/Pastor will oversee recruitment of volunteers and all compliance/control documents in a timely manner, including background checks for volunteers and staff.
- The Director/Pastor will ensure an annual youth ministry budget has been created and submitted. He will monitor expenses against that budget.
- The Director/Pastor will oversee an accurate database of youth parents, and volunteer teachers.
- The Director/Pastor will ensure that church staff, particularly the Senior Pastor, have been communicated with in such a way that they are informed and enthusiastically supportive of the priorities and programs of the youth ministry.
- The Director/Pastor is to ensure that the “in-between-the-cracks” needs of the youth ministry have been handled in a professional and timely manner, including bulletin boards, photography, attendance, newsletters, bulletin and church school announcements, forms, and registration.
- The Director/Pastor will participate regularly as a liturgist on Sunday mornings.
- The Director will preach occasionally at the request of the Senior Pastor.
- Director/Pastor of Youth and the Director of Children’s work collaboratively to form a cohesive, integrated, unified vision and program for all young people under 18. The Middle School Coordinator and HS volunteers report to the Director of Youth.
This position description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements as these may change as the ministry evolves.
TO APPLY: Please submit your resume, a brief testimony, and three references to email@example.com with subject “GPC Youth Position” on the email.